This Mexican favorite may seem over the top, but the ingredients combine to make a surprisingly addictive dog. The bacon adds smoky flavor, the mayo and pinto beans bring richness, and the salsa and pickled jalapeños provide a tangy, refreshing bite.
YIELD: 4 servings
ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
For the pico de gallo:
- 1 medium tomato, seeded, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the hot dogs:
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 large hot dog buns or torpedo rolls (preferably not split)
- 1/4 cup canned pinto beans
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeño slices
- Mayonnaise (for serving)
- 1/2 cup potato chips, loosely crushed
- Sprigs of cilantro (for serving)
Make the pico de gallo:
Combine tomato, red onion, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, cayenne, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
Cook and assemble the hot dogs:
Prepare grill for high heat. Wrap each hot dog in 1 bacon slice and grill, turning often, until bacon is cooked through and crisp on all sides, 12–14 minutes.
Meanwhile, slice open buns, leaving ends intact. Gently toast in a 350°F oven or on grill until buns are warmed through and lightly crispy.
Nestle hot dogs into buns. Spoon 1 Tbsp. beans on one side of each dog, then arrange avocado slices and 1 Tbsp. jalapeños on the other side. Drizzle mayonnaise over hot dogs and top evenly with chips and cilantro.
Courtesy of Epicurious.com