YIELD: Makes 6 servings
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons (packed) palm sugar or golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Chinese long beans, halved crosswise or 15 green beans
- 1 1 1/2- to 13/4-pound green papaya, peeled, halved, seeded
- 10 large cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red Thai chile with seeds, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped salted peanuts
- Special equipment: Julienne peeler or box grater
Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Set dressing aside.
Cook beans in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Rinse under cold water. Cut into 2-inch pieces. Using julienne peeler, peel enough papaya to measure 6 cups. Place in large bowl. Add tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, chile, and green beans. Pour dressing over; toss. Sprinkle peanuts over and serve.
Palm sugar, fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc nam), dried shrimp, Chinese long beans, green papaya, and Thai chiles can all be found at Asian markets.
Courtesy of Epicurious