Make a deliciously smoky side for a BBQ. Use any combination of flame-kissed veggies, then brush and toss with this easy parsley and basil vinaigrette.
Prune your AeroGarden basil and parsley for the vinaigrette.
How to harvest basil
How to harvest parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large red onion, peeled and root end trimmed slightly, leaving end intact
- 1 1/2-pound eggplant, halved crosswise, then cut lengthwise into 1″-thick strips
- 1 large bell pepper
- 2 1/2 pound mixed green and yellow zucchini (about 5)
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil
Special equipment: Four 12″ skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes if wooden.
Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over hot charcoal (medium-high heat or gas).
Whisk together garlic, herbs, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl, then set aside 2/3 of vinaigrette for brushing. (set aside some of the chopped parsley and basil).
Halve onion lengthwise and cut halves lengthwise into 1/2″-wide wedges. Thread 1/2″ apart onto skewers (to hold layers together). Brush onion and eggplant with some reserved vinaigrette.
Oil grill rack, then grill pepper with onion and eggplant, covered only if using a gas grill, turning occasionally with tongs, until onion and eggplant are very tender, 6-10 minutes; transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet. Continue to grill pepper, turning it until skin is blackened, 1-2 minutes longer. Put pepper in a deep bowl and cover with a plate, then let stand while grilling remaining vegetables.
Quarter zucchini lengthwise; brush them and tomatoes with reserved vinaigrette. Grill, covered only if using a gas grill, turning tomatoes less frequently than zucchini, until tomatoes are just blistered, about 3 minutes; transfer to baking sheet. Continue to grill zucchini, turning, until just tender, 1-3 minutes longer.
Peel pepper and thinly slice flesh. Cut tomatoes into wedges and chop remaining vegetables. Add to bowl of vinaigrette along with remaining herbs and salt to taste, tossing to coat.
Makes 4 servings