You can use the flowers harvested from your Incredible Edible Seed Pod Kit in all kinds of ways. Make a fragrant mini-bouquet for your desk, add color to a place setting or even add a unique flair to one of your favorite recipes.
Since your flowers have been grown in a controlled indoor AeroGarden, you don’t need to worry about sprayed chemicals and the plants are safe to consume.
- Prune flowers that have just fully opened. Think of edible flowers as you would fruit in that they should not be over or underripe.
- Make sure to separate the flower from the stem and remove any non-colored/ white portions at base of petals.
- Some flowers can be eaten whole, such as viola and squash blossoms.
After harvesting, store in a refrigerator and use as soon as possible for best flavor.
- Use a glass or plastic container to store the flowers with a damp paper towel at the bottom to provide humidity. This will help the flowers to last longer and lessen wilting.
- Remove parts of the flower that contain pollen before tasting.
- Spread flowers and petals out in a thin single layer over a clean surface such as paper towels or dish towel.
- Place in a dry, undisturbed area in your home (avoid direct sunlight). Rotate each flower/ petal once a day until dry.
- Store in a glass jar with lid.
- Keep dried flowers in a dry area and out of direct sunlight for increased shelf life.
- Wait until you are ready to use dried flowers to crush or powder if desired. This will help preserve fragrant oils in the plant.
If properly stored, your dried flowers can stay good up to a year. The potency of the flowers decrease as its color fades.