This corn soufflé pie is a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving feast and is sure to please any dinner crowd! Enjoy the fresh taste of herbs and veggies grown right in your AeroGarden. Learn how to make it below!
INGREDIENTS 1½ lb lean ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
¼ tsp pepper
2 Tbsp flour
¼ tsp salt
½ cup milk
1 (16-oz) can whole-kernel corn, drained
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
3 egg whites
6 pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
PREPARATION – Serves 6
Preheat oven to 350°F. Sauté beef, onions, red pepper and garlic in a skillet over medium-high heat until beef is cooked through. Stir in remaining ingredients except Corn Topping. Pour into ungreased 2-quart baking dish.
For the corn topping, lightly toast flour and salt in a saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes. Whisk milk gradually into flour and salt. Add corn. Cook, stirring constantly, until corn mixture thickens and boils. Stir at a boil for 1 minute.Gradually whisk half of the hot corn mixture into egg yolks, then blend egg yolk mixture back into saucepan. Stir and boil 1 minute. Cool slightly. Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold thickened corn mixture and olives into egg whites, but do not blend together.
Pour corn topping over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes.
Spring Into Summer!
This fresh “Summer Roll” is the perfect way to kick-start your summer. Enjoy fresh crunchy vegetables, herbs and noodles rolled in rice paper wrappers and dipped in a homemade peanut sauce.
Plus, you can use the herbs you’ve been growing as the star ingredients!
- 4 servings
- ACTIVE TIME
- 30 minutes
- TOTAL TIME
- 30 minutes
- 4 rice wrappers
- 4 sprigs of Thai basil
- 4 sprigs of mint
- 4 sprigs of cilantro
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/4 lb of vermicelli rice noodles
- 4 oz of tofu, sliced
Need help with pruning and harvesting? Click here to view tutorial videos.
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- 1 1″ piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons of tamari
- 1 teaspoon tamarind extract
- 1/4 piece of palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flake (optional)
- 1/4 cup of water (as needed)
Short on time? You can also pick up a peanut sauce at your local grocery store!
- The first and most important step is to have all of the vegetables washed and thinly sliced before you begin assembling.
- Soak the rice noodles in boiling water off of heat in a bowl until tender and follow directions on the packaging.
- Dip the rice paper wrappers in warm water for 10-15 seconds until they are malleable. Don’t let the wrappers become too soft, they are delicate!
- Lay the rice paper on the counter and begin layering the ingredients just off center.
- Roll tightly, folding in the sides.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Add water to desired consistency
Now you’re ready to serve!
Fresh and tasty dish to use those herbs you’ve been growing, such as MINT, BASIL, and CILANTRO!